Sunday, January 2, 2011

#5: THE LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE (1973)



Format watched on: Instant/OnDemand (Netflix)
Time watched: 22:00 CST
New or Rewatch: New
IMDB Amazon

Synopsis: A team consisting of a physicist, his wife, a young female psychic and the only survivor of the previous visit are sent to the notorious Hell House to prove/disprove survival after death. Previous visitors have either been killed or gone mad, and it is up to the team to survive a full week in isolation, and solve the mystery of the Hell House. (imdb.com summary written by Niz)


I have been a fan of Richard Matheson since I learned he was a writer of some of my favorite Twilight Zone episodes. I then read I Am Legend and I will always give this man a shot. Surprisingly, I never saw this film. I bought the book a couple of years ago at a resale store - still haven't read the damn thing - and I kept hearing good things about the film. The movie has been in my Netflix Instant Queue for a while now and I was in the mood to watch a haunted house story.


Plot wise, this film feels like Wise's The Haunting (based on The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson) and that is a compliment. While there are some moments that I don't think were effective, the majority of the film is drenched in a claustrophobic atmosphere that cannot be ignored. I really dug this flick even if I didn't care much for the ending.

Grade: B

No comments:

Post a Comment