Thursday, January 6, 2011

#6: THE LAST EXORCISM (2010)

Format watched on: DVD (Redbox)
Time watched: 17:00 CST
New or Rewatch: New

Synopsis: A troubled evangelical minister agrees to let his last exorcism be filmed by a documentary crew.

I'm quite surprised I never did check this out in the theater. I really try to make it a point to check out every theatrical horror flick. For some reason, I didn't get a chance to see this, nor did I get to check it out in 2010. A writer for my site reviewed it early and gave it high praise. I saw it on plenty of horror critics/blogger's lists of Best of 2010, so my interest was piqued a little higher. Today, I wasn't feeling well and sometimes, that is the best mood to be in to watch a horror flick. I drove down to the local Redbox and tried to get the Blu of THE LAST EXORCISM, but they didn't have it so I settled with the DVD.

What I liked about the film is that the main character, Rev. Cotton, exposes that he is a man that has lost his faith - if he ever even had it. His main purpose in this "documentary" is to expose the fraud of exorcisms. These types of setups are great because it establishes with the viewer the illegitimacy of a belief which is way easier than having the viewer try and believe in something. You have to prove to the audience that belief of whatever subject or theory.

While some complain about the end of this film, I felt that the actions felt appropriate even if I felt that the technical execution was a bit lazy.


Grade B+

No comments:

Post a Comment